Role and Responsibilities
Processors receive, accession, identify and label specimens according to established protocol. This position may also be assigned various other processing duties necessary to assure samples arrive at the analysis areas ready for testing, assure requisitions are available for review in electronic storage or enter financial information before the billing process is initiated.
Principal Accountabilities / Responsibilities
- Primary responsibility is to operate specimen storage equipment per established protocol; operation includes maintenance and troubleshooting errors as they arise. It is also necessary to remove and accurately store or return specimens as protocol dictates.
- Receives, accessions, identifies and labels specimens according to established protocol to ensure all specimens are test-ready (defined as having the correct label attached and ready for all laboratory instrumentation to interpret patient data as well as test requested)
- Accessions an average of 30 requisitions per hour while assigned to non-specialized bench. Achieve established specimens per hour on other bench assignments
- Identifies problems that arise during the accessioning process and either resolves them or requests assistance from the team lead or other supervisory personnel
- Understands the importance of accurate specimen identification; matches label and individual specimen identifiers every time
- Operates specimen sorting equipment per established protocol; operation includes maintenance when assigned and troubleshooting errors as they arise
- Speaks with clients or their designees in a professional manner. Communication examples include test clarification, verification of specimen arrival or courier dispatch
- Data collection or logging of information as requested by supervisor/manager
- Communicates with AEL staff verbally in a professional and timely manner. Items that may require exchange include problematic specimens, special client requests, complaints or comments that require follow-up, interface anomalies or equipment failure.
- In all communications especially when answering the phone, keep in mind you always represent the company; make sure all questions are addressed, even if this requires transfer to technical staff members or supervisors
- Rotates responsibility for weekend and holiday assignments
- Properly stores specimens for the reference area; paying attention to specimen type, storage temperature and light requirements necessary to properly maintain the specimen for testing
- Upon request and training, maxi-logs (defined as entry of billing data, appropriate test codes and additional demographic information) all manual requisitions, additional test requests and electronic requisitions that do not complete the data transfer process. This process also includes a second-check of basic demographic information and test orders.
- If assigned data entry duties, averages of 30 requisitions per hour
- During the data entry process, identifies and resolves any data not properly entered including missed or incorrectly interpreted tests as directed by established protocol
- Prepares and scans all requisitions into electronic storage per established protocol and according to the established timeline
- Performs quality review of items scanned into storage to ensure all requisitions are retrievable for review
- Performs related duties upon request of management
Knowledge and Education Requirements:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail
Background in medical terminology preferred
Work requires light physical exertion (up to 30 pounds) on a frequent basis (up to 50% if the time) or walking/standing (up to 50% during some shifts).
Work involves frequent exposure to unpleasant working conditions or undesirable elements; may involve exposure to a variety of elements which are potentially hazardous or harmful which require exercise of well-defined precautions for protection from injury or illness. The use of proper personal protective equipment is required.