Role and Responsibilities
The SMD Supervisor is the frontline management representative for receipt and accessioning of specimens submitted for testing. This position is responsible for managing leads, processors and trainers, assuring that established protocols are followed. May also be assigned procedure establishment or revision. In addition is responsible for the oversight of timely, electronic requisition storage, a process that makes requisitions available for assistance in test verification, interpretation and billing assistance. Various data collection duties will be assigned as necessary to provide analysis assistance and quality assurance. This position is expected to be a mentor for the SMD staff by helping them to build a team which reflects positively to other departments as well as clients. May be assigned liaison duties with the phlebotomy, customer service, courier or sales staff.
Principal Accountabilities / Responsibilities
- Assures specimens are received, accessioned, identified and labeled according to established protocol to ensure all specimens are test-ready (defined as having the correct label attached and ready for all laboratory instrumentation to interpret patient data as well as test requested)
- Monitors productivity that includes accessions at an average of 30 requisitions per hour for the traditional accessioning bench and measures other duty assignments according to established average
- Identifies problems that arise during the accessioning process and assists in their resolution keeping supervisory personnel updated
- Oversees the operation of specimen sorting equipment according to established protocol; operation includes maintenance when assigned and troubleshooting errors as they arise
- Oversees the operation of specimen storage equipment per established protocol; operation includes maintenance when assigned and troubleshooting errors as they arise.
- Speaks with clients or their designees in a professional manner. Communication examples including test clarification, verification of specimen arrival or courier dispatch
- Contributes to quality assurance monitoring; including but not limited to data collection and formatting
- Writes and updates procedures and manuals as assigned by manager
- Conducts or facilitates daily huddle meetings with staff at the begging of their shift. Meetings are to be brief (generally less than 5 minutes) and provide a conduit for sharing information as well as boosting moral. Topics to include but are not limited to previous days accessions, helpful hints and safety notes.
- Communicates with AEL staff verbally in a professional and timely manner. Items that may require exchange include problematic specimens, special client requests, complaints or comments that require follow-up, interface anomalies or equipment failure.
- In all communications especially when answering the phone, keep in mind you always represent AEL; make sure all questions are addressed, even if this requires transfer to technical staff members or supervisors
- Oversees the rotation of adequate staff responsibility for weekend and holiday assignments
- Coordinates with the reference section to include attention to specimen type, storage temperature and light requirements necessary to properly maintain the specimen for testing
- Assures requisitions are prepared, scanned and maxi-logged (defined as entry of billing data, appropriate test codes and additional demographic information) as needed according to procedure. This process also includes a second-check of basic demographic information and test orders. Productivity of 30 requisitions per hour is monitored and assured.
- Any inconsistencies discovered during the maxi-log process are identified and resolved
- Performs related duties upon request of management
Knowledge and Education Requirements:
- B.S. or equivalent desired; High School Diploma or Equivalent required
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer skills that include but are not limited to Microsoft office products as well as laboratory information systems
- Strong attention to detail
Background in supervision