Purpose of Position and Scope of Responsibility:
The Histotechnologist is respoonsible for preparing tissue for microscopic evaluation using clinical standards to correlate test results
and assess the need for additional testing and/or referral to pathologist to assure accurate diagnosis. This position is full time and under the supervision of the Histology supervisor.
1. Maintaining specimen identity and integrity at all times during specimen processing.
2. Operate and maintain an automated tissue processor. Understands how to program, load and trouble shoot the tissue processor.
3. Knows how to correctly embed and orient tissue blocks so that high quality sections will be produced to meet the pathologist’s requirements for microscopic evaluation.
4. Operate a rotary microtome and maintain and keep the instrument clean.
5. Performs hematoxylin and eosin staining. Troubleshoots staining problems and maintains instrument and maintenance records.
6. Operate and maintain the automated coverslipper.
7. Ensures all quality assurance and quality control policies and procedures are documented and completed.
8. Researches, troubleshoots, and resolves histology related inquiries and problems within the histology laboratory.
9. Performs related accountabilities/responsibilities as required or directed.
Associate Degree or be HT, HTL
Licensure, Registration, Certification:
American Society for Clinical Pathologists certification or eligible (ASCP).
Work requires the physical demands of standing, bending, lifting, stooping or performing other work
requiring light physical exertion (up to 30 pounds) on an occasional basis (up to 15% of time) and
frequent walking; or moderate physical exertion (up to 50 pounds) on an intermittent basis (not a routine
part of the job).