Job Title: Pathology Assistant
This position performs daily activities associated with the processing of laboratory specimens for diagnostic pathology under the direction of the Laboratory Section Manager and/or Pathologist. This position is also responsible for the examination and dissection of pathology specimens.
- Responsible for assuring correct accessioning of all surgical specimens.
- Gross description and complete dissection of surgical specimens.
- Under the supervision of assigned Pathologist, Pathology Assistant will perform partial or complete dissections.
- Collect appropriate specimen for microbiological examination.
- Selection and submission of tissue sections for microscopic examination.
- Assist in certain specialized procedures or projects as designated by the Pathologist.
- Maintain orderly storage of surgical specimens, as well as discarding specimens.
- Maintains the tissue processor and ensures all solutions are rotated or changed when necessary.
- Graduate of an Accredited Baccalaureate degree program or
- An associate degree in laboratory science or medical laboratory technology obtained from an accredited institution, OR
- Education/training equivalent to the above that includes at least 60 semester hours or equivalent for an accredited institution. This education must include 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses, OR 24 semester hours of science courses that includes 6 semester hours of chemistry, 6 semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory training in any combination.
- They must also complete a 3 month documented training program in prosecting histology specimens that is overseen by the Laboratory Medical Director.
- Previous laboratory experience and demonstrated knowledge of sample handling and collection requirements.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to maintain accuracy in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work in a team setting.
Previous documented training programs to include certificates in Pathology Assistant Program and/or training preferred.
Licensure, Registration, Certification:
Certificate in Pathology Assistant Program, ASCP or eligible.